After attending a painting and wine event with my girlfriends they commented that I should host a similar night at my house where I could teach them how to paint. Although, I liked that idea, I thought I would branch out and host a craft night where I could teach them how to make cute practical crafts instead of having everyone paint the same picture to take home and hide.
Craft Night Checklist . . .
Wine . . .
Cute work area . . .
Supplies . . .
Willing instructor . . .
So this was my first craft night . . . I decided to show a technique for creating custom coasters out of tiles. This makes such a cute gift and it can be really simple or more creative depending on your interests.
Here are my instructions for creating the tiles:
DIY Photo Coasters
· 4 subway tiles 4”x4”(home depot)
· Foam brush (craft store)
· Matte Modge Podge (craft store)
· Spray Acrylic Coating (home depot/craft store)
· Felt furniture pads (home depot)
· 4 photos printed slightly smaller than 4”x4”
· Cut out photos
· Apply modge podge using a foam brush to tiles
· Place images onto tiles centering as best you can
· Apply a coat of modge podge over the picture in one direction and let dry
· Apply another coat going the opposite direction (do this several times)
· When dry, spray with acrylic coating and let dry
· Apply four furniture pads to the bottom corners of the tiles
You are finished!
· Use scrapbook paper and letters to crate monogramed tiles or holiday themed tiles
· Use cut-outs from beer boxes
· Create a collage using papers, magazine images or scraps to create an artistic look
· Cut the images shorter and center closer to the top of the tile to make them look more like a polaroid
· Paint on the tiles and then coat